From farm girl to college girl to all grown up and now a globe-trotting, wine-lovin’ “dog person” with a sense of adventure, Lauren Justice Kolve has added some real panache to our team at dynami since joining us in December 2017. On any given day of the week (or late night or early morning, for that matter), Lauren alternates between jetting off to faraway, exciting destinations … or being up to her elbows in desk-based details, rooming lists and transportation manifests. No two days are ever alike.
Here are 10 fascinating things you probably didn’t know about our Manager, Event Marketing
Here’s my story …
- I grew up on a small farm just north of Atlanta in Lawrenceville. My family owned about 20 acres (think Green Acres with cows, chickens, apple trees and a large garden) that had been in our family for decades. We ended up selling and moving 20 miles north to Cumming when I was in high school. Our “Green Acres” is now a part of Ronald Reagan Parkway, a very busy, east-west toll road in Gwinnett County. My, how times change!
- Speaking of times changing (and time zones), I love traveling! I’ve been to Australia, Canada, Czech Republic, China, England, France, Germany, The Republic of Maldives, Mexico, The Netherlands, New Zealand and Peru; and have made multiple stops in the Caribbean and, of course, throughout the good ol’ USA. I once traveled around the entire world in a westerly direction in one trip (multiple stops, of course)! Destinations I dream of traveling to one day include Guam, the Seychelles and South Africa.
- My husband and I attended a smallish liberal arts college (Georgia College in Milledgeville) at the same time but didn’t know each other. It wasn’t until five years after graduation that we officially “met” while I was on a date … with his best friend. Don’t worry – no hard feelings – it was just a friendly, casual wedding date. They’re still best friends and, ironically enough, the mother of my “friendly, casual” wedding date officiated our
- My husband and I were married in April 2017. For our honeymoon, we journeyed nearly 10,000 miles to the Maldives in the middle of the Indian Ocean and stayed in one of those travel magazine, over-the-water bungalows that’s on everyone’s Bucket List. It was for me, too. Not anymore. It was also the first time my husband had traveled internationally. Go big, big, big or go home, right?
- They say your reasoning skills don’t fully develop until you’re around 25-years-old. Thus, I thought it would be fun to skydive for my 25th My theory was, if I waited any longer, I would probably be more fully reasoned and talk myself out of it because let’s face it, jumping out of a plane at an altitude of 13,000 feet is not a rational idea. The experience was awesome but I can honestly say, it’s one of those one-and-done Bucket List adventures.
- We adopted two black Labrador/Shar Pei-mix pups named Oliver and Otis. We got lucky, because they’re adorable like Labs with a few extra wrinkles. They have the temperament of a Shar Pei, so they’re super laid back. We love ‘em!
- Speaking of a dog’s life, I used to volunteer for Canine Assistance, helping to train their service dogs. It’s truly amazing what a dog can do!
- I used to say running keeps me sane (well, as sane as someone in the Meetings & Events industry can claim to be, that is). I ran the Chicago Half-Marathon in 2013 and quickly came to appreciate the extraordinary commitment of time and discipline it takes to train long distance. It’s truly a feat … a feat of feet, you might say. Nowadays, I stick to shorter runs and jogs, but I sure do respect those who run long distances. I still use running as a coping mechanism when life gets crazy!
- My husband and I love wine! We learned all about the agricultural process and factors, the science behind wine-making, and how various flavors are achieved. It’s absolutely fascinating to us. We’ve started quite a collection which includes many wines we’re currently aging. (I wasn’t always an instant-gratification girl!) We prefer “new world” wines over the “olde world”, so Napa is one of our favorite destinations — definitely a more-than-one-and-done Bucket List experience.
- My birthday falls on Christmas Eve and I used to be a professional gift-wrapper. For me, there’s something therapeutic about wrapping packages (assuming you don’t wait until my birthday to start wrapping for Christmas Day). I like to joke around and say I’m “part elf” … without the pointy ears.
And for a bonus insight …
- I am a member of Meeting Professionals International and earned my Meeting Professionals International (MPI) certification in 2016 which was a goal of mine the day I started in this wonderful, exciting industry. I’m very proud of that accomplishment. My next goal is to complete the MPI Experiential Event Series certification and get hands-on, behind-the-scenes experience with some of the world’s largest and most impressive mega-events.
I approach each day with the following philosophy: Always align my efforts with the client’s business goals and objectives, and create a memory along the way. I believe wholly understanding the “why” is a critical aspect of my role. Making the connection between a company’s organizational strategy and the specific meeting or event goals is the key. This allows me, as Event Planner, to focus on what is critical to the organization and its stakeholders. It ensures the event is designed and focused on accomplishing stated goals, exceeding attendees’ expectations, and maximizing the client’s return on investment. In short, strive for max impact that creates results.
Having said that, the event must also be highly memorable and trigger attendees’ “Remember when we …” button years later. I want everyone – client, attendees and event team members — to walk away truly “wowed”. We accomplish this by incorporating the latest event trends and innovative concepts to create a one-of-a-kind attendee experience with the added polish of a personal touch.
So there ya have it. That’s my story and I’m stickin’ to it … and adding to it all the time. I look forward to working closely with you on new adventures in the near-future!
Farm girl to college girl to globe-trotting, wine-lovin’ “dog person” … Lauren Justice Kolve is passionate about pairing your objectives and goals with her creativity!